Friday, June 22, 2007

Travels~Tennyson~Chaucer~Knights

I have posted pictures from our trip in 1999 to Northern Ireland, at that time we traveled to Belfast, Portadown, and Armagh. The pictures at the bottom of the screen are from 2001 when we were in Prague, Czech Republic.
I have finished a book on Tennyson's poems, I should properly call him Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
This book gave me little information about him as a person, but it did tell me that most of his verses were based on mythology themes. After he wrote The Lady of Shalott he received a lot of critism and then he did not write again for 10 years. He was the Poet Laureate from 1850 until his death. Poet Laureate means he was to create poems for state occasions and other government events. Queen Victoria created him Baron Tennyson of Aldworth in 1884. He was born August 6, 1809 and died October 6, 1892.
~~The Lady of Shalott~~
On either side the river lie
Long fields of barley and of rye,
That clothe the wold and meet the sky;
And through the field the road run by
To many-tower'd Camelot;
And up and down the people go, Gazing where the lilies blow
Round an island there below,
The island of shalott.

I also read Peter Ackroyd's Chaucer which was okay, it did give me some information about Chaucer and life in London in the 1300's. Chaucer was a young page at the court, he was educated, new several languages, his marriage was probably arranged and they had 2 children, his career was in the courts, he was controller of customs of wool and subsidy. He began writing in Oct of 1360. He is known as the father of English poetry. I started reading The Canterbury Tales tonight. I also picked up at the library today The Life and Times of Chaucer by John Gardner, I will let you know later what I think of it.
Last night I finished reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, author unknown, wonderful story, I should say poem. The poem may have been written as early as 1350. It was copied no later than 1400. This is a poem to be spoken~ not just for the eye. The poem has humour, irony, and adventure. I really enjoyed it!
Back to reading..........

4 comments:

Imani said...

I really like your Ireland pictures. What did you think of the Tennyson poems? I remember first hearing about "The Lady of Shallott" from the "Anne of Green Gables" series on the Disney Channel. Then when I came across it in my first poetry collections, I felt chills! But it actually took me a while to really enjoy it. I got along more immediately with "The Highway Man" another poem that Anne Shirley liked.

Manky said...

I've always liked The Lady Of Shallott.

MissDaisyAnne said...

I had never, believe it or not, read any of the King Arthur legends. Reading Tennyson and now Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has peeked my interest in that subject. But I do like Tennyson poems, esp. Whispers, Break Break Break, The Princess, From Maud, In Memoriam and of course The Lady of Shalott(I love it). Did everyone see my pictures of Prague?~~scroll down to bottom of page. Thanks everyone.

Manky said...

I read the post you did on Chaucer and Tennyson on your Wordpress blog. Very interesting and informative. My one exposure to Chaucer was when I was a senior in high school, and I have to say I didn't understand a bit of it. Maybe it's time to try again.