Tuesday, July 10, 2007

"The Oxford Book of English Verse"
edited by Christopher Ricks
I admit that I speed read this library book, because it was 690 pages. But I was successful in that I was introduced to several other poets; Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Carew, William Wordsworth, Edmund Spenser, Robert Southey, and T.S. Eliot.

Christopher Marlowe 1564-1593
Come live with mee, and be my love,
And we will all the pleasures prove,
That Vallies, groves, hills, and fieldes,
Woods, or steepie mountaine yieldes.

Thomas Carew 1594-1640
"A Song"
Ask me no more where love bestowes,
When June is past , the fading rose:
For in your beauties orient deep,
These Flowers as in their causes sleep.

Ask me no more whither doe stray
The golden Atomes of the day:
For in pure love heaven did prepare
Those powders to inrich your hair.

Ask me no more whither doth hast
The Nightingdale, when May is past:
For in your sweet dividing throat
She winters, and keeps warm her note.

Ask me no more where those starres light,
That downwards fall in dead of night:
For in your eyes they sit, and there,
Fixed, become as in their sphere.

Ask me no more if East or West,
The Phenix builds her spicy nest:
For unto you at last she flyes,
And in your fragrant bosome dies.

No comments: