Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Robert Southey


"Poems by Robert Southey" chosen and arranged by Edward Dowden
12 August 1774-21 March 1843
He was a English Poet of The Romantic School, and a Lake Poet, and a Poet Laureate. He was also a letter writer, and literary scholar, he wrote a number of biographical studies on the life and works of John Bunyan, John Wesley, William Cowper, Oliver Cromwell, and Horatio Nelson. He was also a Portuguese and Spanish scholar, translating works.

"My Days Among The Dead Are Past"

My days among the Dead are past;

Around me I behold,

Where'er these casual eyes are cast,

The mighty minds of old;

My never-failing friends are they

With whom I converse day by day.

With them I take delight in weal,

And seek relief in woe;

And while I understand and feel

How much to them I owe,

My cheeks have often been bedew'd

With tears of thoughtful gratitude. lines 1-12

No comments: