Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Macbeth

Macbeth by William Shakespeare. I read the Fully Annotated Shakespeare with an introduction by Burton Raffel and an essay by Harold Bloom. This play has villains, murder, witches, betrayal. It was written sometime between 1603 and 1606. It is one of the best known of Shakespeare's plays, the shortest surviving tragedy. It is loosely based on the history of the Scottish King Macbeth. Macbeth kills King Duncan, Macbeth is even encouraged by his wife Lady Macbeth to do this evil deed. Macbeth also kills 2 servants in order to cover up the murder. Lady Macbeth goes mad, she wants to wash away the blood that she sees on her hands, she is sick with guilt and then dies. The 2 sons of King Duncan had escaped to England and Ireland, when they left it was looked on as suspicious. Macduff a Scottish nobleman beheads Macbeth. Malcolm the son of Duncan is rightfully crowned the King of Scotland.
I loved this play, I thought it was excellent!
Some of my favorite quotes are:
"No less in truth than life."
"Our tears are not yet brewed."
"Double, double toil and trouble. Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."
"Something wicked this way comes."
"Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it."
"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

1 comment:

Imani said...

I remember reading parts of it when I was younger. (I don't know if I read the whole thing, but I'm tempted to say I did.) I watched a kids movie called "Something wicked this way comes" or something like that, which is what led me to the book, because I wanted to know the source of the quote!