Thursday, October 25, 2007

"The Blue Boy"

"The Blue Boy" by Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788)

"The Blue Boy" painting was actually a portrait of Jonathan Buttall the son of a wealthy hardware merchant, painted in 1770. It is thought to be a study on 17Th century clothing, and also done in honor of Anthony Van Dyck portrait of Charles II as a boy.
As I posted earlier "The Blue Boy" is on display at "The Huntington" in San Marino, California.





My mother loved both of the paintings of "The Blue Boy" and "Pinkie", they were always on display in our formal living room. These paintings went along with her love for french provincial furniture.

3 comments:

J. Kaye Oldner said...

Looking back to see if I can tell which pictures you took and ones found online - I can't...lol!

That said, I did want to comment on this and Pinkie. My grandmother painted a statue of these two. She passed them on to me prior to her death. Always thought both were amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

its weird to come across someone that knows something about these i have the exact same statues that are in your paintings is there anything you can tell me

MissDaisyAnne---Annette said...

The only other information I have about Blue Boy is that this painting is very well known. The painting I'm sure has hung in many homes. I believe it was popular in the 1950's and 1960's. I have seen the painting available on Ebay and in antique shops. Sorry I cannot tell you more.
Thank you!