Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Barbara Pym

"Excellent Women" by Barbara Pym
I had never heard of the writer Barbara Pym but a friend on shelfari introduced me to her. Barbara Pym is a English writer that wrote several books in the 1950's. "Excellent Women" is the first and only book I have read so far. I was happy to read a book that is easy to read, unpretentious, straight forward, and uncomplicated. The time period for this story is shortly after WWII, in London. It is the story of an unmarried woman "just over 30" named Mildred Lathbury. She enjoys having tea with and eating out with friends, church, observing and peeking into the lives of other people, and she also wonders what being married would be like. She has new neighbors, a unconventional married couple that she becomes friends with, she secretly thinks the husband is handsome. But Mildred is practical and after all, happy with her life.

2 comments:

MissDaisyAnne said...

My favorite painting by Mary Cassatt.

Imani said...

I bought this same book recently because of a Shelfari friend too, sweetafton. I haven't read it yet, although I did join Pym's Shelfari group (I was invited). Glad to read that you enjoyed it.

I have a print copy of this painting. :)