Tuesday, November 13, 2007

More English Literature


"The English Reader, What Every Literate Person Needs To Know"
by Michael Ravitch and Diane Ravitch
This book gives an excellent introduction to English literature; it gives a short biography and then examples of poetry, essays, songs, or memorable speeches, from a long list of English writers, from Queen Elizabeth I through Winston Churchill. Many of the writings I was familiar with, some I had never read before, such as Mary Wollstonecraft's writing "A Vindication of the Rights of Women". She was an early feminist writer and this piece caused an uproar. The speech to the House of Commons that William Wilberforce gave May 12, 1789 is also included in this book. After reading his speech I am now reading a book by John Piper entitled "Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce." I will be posting about this admirable man soon. I usually do not post that I highly recommend a book to read, but I highly recommend the book, "The English Reader". This book will familiarize readers with important writings that all literate people should know.

1 comment:

MissDaisyAnne said...

Painting by James McNiell Whistler 1858-1859