Thursday, December 6, 2007

Reading Short Stories

"The Treasury of English Short Stories, 5 Centuries of Classic Short Stories" edited by Nancy Sullivan. I admit I did not read the entire book, I skimmed through all of the book and settled on reading 8 of the stories. Two of the stories I considered very good; "The Colonel's Lady" by W. Somerset Maugham and "The Old Man" by Daphne Du Maurier. Both stories drew me in and peeked my interest to kept me reading till the end. In a short story there is not time to go into long descriptions, nor to develop a gradual development of a story, I have to admit I missed that. "The Colonel's Lady" is the story about a husband that is concerned about a book his wife has written, it is a rather steamy and sexy novel. He believes that maybe the book his wife has written was from her own personal experience. Most of this story is the husband conversing with a friend about his concern. "The Old Man", the reader is led to believe that the story is about a human family, but the story does bring to an end a different set of circumstances, and thus a little surprise.

1 comment:

cathy b. said...

When I was in high school I never did my homework. So I didn't read the assigned short stories. Years later I read them for fun. I realized that I could have enjoyed high school a lot more if I'd read them then.