Thursday, March 20, 2008

Three More!

"Inheritance" by Natalie Danford
The book goes back and forth between the voices and the stories of Luigi and his daughter Olivia. Luigi was an Italian immigrant that left his country with a secret, a secret that his daughter Olivia will discover after his death. Olivia's mother died when she was young, she was raised by her father, later when Olivia is an adult she cared for her dad until he died, he had Alzheimer's. After her father's death she finds out that her father had been hiding a secret, she traveled to Italy to "unlock a door", but she also discovers a new understanding of a man that she thought she knew.
"American Creation" by Joseph J. Ellis
I must admit that I speed read this book, it was a library book that I needed to return.
The American founding lasted from 1775-1803. During this time was the American Revolution and the birth of this nation. With the completion of this "birth" came the displacement and
removal of the Native Americans, as they were moved farther west to make room for the expansion of the colonists. These Native Americans were already decreased in numbers from the numerous diseases that the colonists had brought to this country, those that were left were to be cleared away and in some cases annihilated. The book does touch on several characters that are considered the "founding fathers" of this nation.
"Amish Grace-How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy" by Donald B. Kraybill, Steven M. Nolt, and David L. Weaver-Zercher
This book was for me an unforgetable and memorable one. Why? their are those people that say "I forgive you", and then their are those people that not only say the words, but they live their lives on this pledge. How would you feel if someone in cold and calculating manner murdered your children? I cannot, nor do I want to imagine the pain and anguish of suffering that would come from this horror. On October 2, 2006 during school time, a man that was known in the community walked into an Amish school in rural Pennsylvania, dismissed the adults, and the boys, and opened fire on the young girls. Their were 5 girls killed, 5 injured, 1 of those injured is severely disabled. The Amish were immediate in their response to forgive.
"Forgiveness forgoes the right to vengeance. Pardon releases an offender from punishment altogether. Reconciliation is the restoration of a relationship, or the creation of a new one, between the victim and the offender."
"Forgiveness is both a short term act and a long term process."
The book does go into greater detail about the killer, and also his family. The book also gives a thorough teaching on the Amish belief and culture. The Amish focus on the literal interpretation of the teachings of Jesus, with special emphasis on the Sermon on the Mount.

3 comments:

The Blog Lady said...

I have not read Amish Grace, but I very well remember the incident upon which this book is based. I'm from Amish country, so I'm familiar with some of the people in their community. What I found almost as appalling about the senseless, tragic murders of those children was the total lack of respect outsiders had for the Amish families who were grieving. Those people are exceptionally private, yet the press was constantly there to take pictures of them (something they've specifically said they don't want) and to try to question them. It was almost as though they weren't people -- just oddities to fill up more news space. While I don't think such an event should be ignored because of the religious preferences of a group of people, I just don't think that whole ugly business was handled well. I cannot imagine what the Amish themselves thought of appearing on the cover of People Magazine.

Ma said...

I realized after I posted the above comment that you might not realize who it's from... it's me: Ma! And I'm glad to see you're back posting again. I am so sorry for your loss, however. This cannot have been an easy time for you.

MissDaisyAnne said...

Welcome blog lady glad to have you as a reader! and friend! The Amish are a bit of a mystery, I have great respect for them. The book did talk about their lack of privacy during this horrible experience, the media were camped out at the town and it was a very large group of them.
Ma I'm so happy to have you stop by, I post when I can, our youngest son has moved back home, so I've been making room for him, etc. I'm reading the book Mayflower now, hope to post on it next week. How are you?