Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Mother and a Daughter


"Heaven Without Her" by Kitty Foth-Regner
This book was one of the best books I've read in a long time, I could not put it down, even though I cried many tears. My tears were unavoidable, after all my mother has recently died, the story is also about a daughter who's mother dies. The book is a memoir, a daughters journey through the years with her mother, a journey that includes the last journey of this life, death. Kitty Foth-Regner is the daughter, her mother is Ethel Foth. The opening page of the books story is a quote by Ethel,
"I look forward to death, except for one reason only. How can I possibly live in a world, no matter how heavenly it may be, if my little agnostic Kitty is not there?"
Kitty is agnostic, she is a feminist, independent, a party girl, and a writer. Although Kitty lives a far different life than her mother has led, they have a bond, a closeness that cannot be separated. Kitty embarks on a quest to find out if her mother is correct in her beliefs about God. Kitty studies many various religions, and attends a Christian church without yet believing, this quest becomes an absorbing endeavor.
I can relate so well to Kitty's feelings expressed,
"I couldn't imagine living in a world without my mother. she had been the one constant source of strength in my life. She was the only person who'd loved me nearly unconditionally."
Kitty writes about the bedrock of our characters is started from how we are with our parents, that this relationship that we have with our parents is a forerunner to other earthly relationships, and also to our relationship with God. I did not live a perfectly blissful childhood, but I had a gracious and near perfect mother. Mother often told me I was her "joy", she did not say I was her happiness, because happiness is temporary-fleeting, she said I was her "joy."
Recently I was in my hometown and drove past my old childhood home, how I wish that I could walk home from school again, and walk through the back door that led into the kitchen, where my mother was always waiting for me with a big smile on her face, she was truly glad to see me. Someday though I will walk through the gates of heaven and my mother will once again greet me with a big smile on her face, and she will truly be glad to see me, and our reunion will be for all eternity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Miss Daisy Anne,
I came across your comments about my book thanks to Google, and just wanted to thank you for them -- you are very kind! I also wanted to extend my condolences to you on the recent loss of your own mother. It is difficult, isn't it? But oh, how wonderful will that golden day be when you see her again on the other side of those gates!
Many blessings to you,
Kitty Foth-Regner

MissDaisyAnne said...

Thank you, a pleasant and wonderful surprise to read a posted comment from the author!
Thank you!!!

Greg said...

Hi MissDaisyAnne,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for visiting my blog. You are one of a handful of others from Shelfari that have found me. I sincerely miss you and my other group of friends. You have been very encouraging. Better judgement got the best of me by abruptly leaving Shelfari. I simply got tired of the constant arguing and bickering on Shelfari. And a few people in particular began to spread really bad lies and rumors about me that were simply untrue. They also began to become combative. Just isn't worth it to me. I don't feel it is what God wants. So, I thought it was best that I just leave. I look forward to carrying on dialog with you. Carpoolqueen just contacted me today too!

I hope you and your family are all doing well.

God Bless,

greg

MissDaisyAnne said...

Thanks for the visit Greg!