Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Salacious Character

I awakened this morning to a cloudless sky, a strong north wind, and a temperature that is just above freezing. I am sitting in front of my lap top, in my Mickey Mouse pajamas, drinking my second cup of coffee.
I stayed up late last night reading, unable to put down a book, on the unsavory and flagrant, Russian historical figure, Grigory Efimovich Rasputin. I have two books, "Rasputin, The saint Who Sinned" by Brian Moynahan, and "The Rasputin File" by Edvard Radzinsky. I am one hundred pages from being finished with the book by Moynahan.
The character Rasputin is a man that was uncouth, mesmerizing, fearful, a charlatan, mystical, licentious, and salacious. "He told women that when they had sex with him he was purifying them; and that when a man slept with a woman she came into the grace of God." Rasputin was a dirty, smelly, uncouth, individual; but yet women flocked to him and treated him as if he were a godlike entity. Many women had sex with him out of curiosity, some had sex with him because they were mesmerized by him, and some poor souls were raped and they became his slaves.
I will post more on him when I've finished the book.

No comments: