Monday, January 5, 2009

A January Cold

I have spent the past 9 days with a cold, that then developed into a sinus infection, I'm now on a antibiotic and hopefully will be better soon. When I am feeling more ambitious I will be organizing a better area on my blog for all of the book challenges that I have made a commitment to in 2009.

"Away" by Amy Bloom
The first thing that caught my eye in the bookstore is the beautiful cover of the book, I was intrigued by the background of a long and winding stream, in a flaxen colored misty valley, the forefront of the cover picture is a bowl of shiny fruit. The second thing that caught my eye about the book is the short title, "Away," of course my curiosity was peaked; I wanted to know "Away" from what?
The main character is Lillian Leyb, a young Jewish woman from Russia that recently arrived in New York City, the year is 1924. In the beginning she lives with a cousin and other boarders in an apartment, she works as a seamstress in a theatre. Lillian carries with her the memories of the macabre butchery of her family, her every night is haunted by the hellish dreams of "the event." Lillian believes that her daughter died during the butchery in Russia, a newly arrived cousin tells Lillian that her daughter Sophie is alive and where she is living. Lillian embarks on a cross country travel, that she hopes will then enable her to cross the Bering Strait, and into Siberia where she has been told her daughter is living. Lillian has many encounters in her travels, it does seem superfluous to me that everyone she meets wants to have sex with her, it was happening so many times in the book that I speed read through those areas, I was more interested in knowing if she would be reunited with Sophie.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I wanted to invite you to participate in my ‘Question of the Week’ feature. (Part of the Operation Actually Read Bible challenge)You don’t have to–no obligation implied–but it’s there if you want to take part. It will be a weekly event on my blog--every Tuesday.

Becky

J. Kaye Oldner said...

I am so sorry you have been sick! Sinus infections can really get the better of me and have me in the bed for days. :( Hope you get better.

A Gracious Home said...

I'm sad you were sick while your husband was home. Did you get to do anything or did you fill too awful to enjoy his time off? I'm with Mama this week because she is sick with a cold. I will go home long enough to stay with my grandson on Friday then come back. I am enjoying my time with Mama. I'm reading a good book called Halos by Kristen Heitzmann. I told Mama about the story you wrote about your dad. She wants to read it tomorrow. I will be praying for you. I think you had a cold about this time last year. Take care. Doylene

MissDaisyAnne said...

I probably was sick about this time last year, my usual time is Feb or March. I hope you have a great time with your mother, hope she gets well soon.
Thank you to all of my get well soon comments!