Monday, January 26, 2009

War Through the Generations: WWII


"Defiance" by Nechama Tec
The book "Defiance" has now been made into a movie playing at the theatre, the title role of the main character in the book is portrayed by the very handsome and dreamy Daniel Craig. He makes me sigh!
The first time I saw the book it was near the check out desk at our book shop in our mall, I grabbed the book, of course intrigued by the photo on the cover of Daniel Craig, but I was intrigued by the story of the Bielski brothers.
The Bielski brothers; Tuvia, Asael, and Zus, are from a large Jewish family living in what is now known as Belarus, or Belarusia. Belarus is an eastern European country, Poland borders the western side, Ukraine to the south, Lithuania and Latvia to the north. The country is 40% forest. It was in this forest that the Bielski brothers during Hitler's murderous regime that the Bielski brothers hid many Jews.
The book is more of a just the facts kind of book, interviews of people that knew the brothers give the book a more personal and less textbook perspective. Details are given about the brothers personal lives, their wives, their character, and even their vices.
I am not sure I will see the movie at the theatre, I am more of a "I'll wait till it comes out on DVD."
I am reading 2 other Holocaust/WWII books; "Hitler's Willing Executioners, Ordinary Germans and The Holocaust" by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen, and "After The Long Silence" by Helen Fremont. The first book mentioned that I'm reading is the authors perspective on the German people's involvement with Hitler and anti-semitism in Germany and Europe. This book is a slow go, very textbook like, I have to admit I'm speed reading some of it. The later book "After The Long Silence" is a much more engaging book.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I've wanted to see this movie since I watched a documentary on the History channel about the Bielski brothers. I had no idea it was a book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. This is a must-read for me!

I've created a post for your review here on War Through the Generations and added the link to the book reviews page.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Heather J. said...

I read After Long Silence and really enjoyed it. I have her follow up book on my list for the War Through the Generations challenge (which is where I saw the link to this post).