Wednesday, January 7, 2009

War Through The Generations

http://warthroughthegenerations.wordpress.com/

"Sarah's Key" by Tatiana De Rosnay
I have to say that I adore the author, meaning after reading the book, and reading the author chat in the back of the book, I would love to visit with her as if we were ole' friends over a cup of cafe', or a cup of tea. The copy of the book that I purchased is a "Target Bookmarked Club Pick," I have found in my humble little town that "Target" has a great selection of books.
This is a book that the reader must have at least 1 box of Kleenex, I am not an emotional kind of gal, but this book is a riveting poignant story.
I must be careful in my review not to give too much away, I must encourage all who read this post, READ THE BOOK.
There are 2 stories in the book, 2 main characters, 2 time periods, and the 2 shall intertwine with each other.
Sarah is 10, her brother Michel is 4, they and their parents live in Paris, France. They are Jewish, and Hitler's plan to annihilate the Jews is underway. On July 16 and 17 of 1942, there was a round up of the Jews living in Paris and the surrounding area. This incident is referred to as the "Vel d' Hiv. There were 6000 French policeman involved in this round up, the Jews were at first staged in a holding area previously known as an indoor cycling track. The Jews were then separated and sent to camps in France, then on to Auschwitz. In those 2 days 13, 152 Jews were arrested and murdered. Sarah is the first stories main character.
Julia is a middle aged married woman with 1 daughter, she has been living in Paris for 25 years. Her French husband is a jerk (my opinion.) Julia is a journalist working on a story about the anniversary of Vel d' Hiv, in the process she uncovers her connection to Sarah. She also has arduous decisions to make in her own life. Julia is the second stories main character.
In reading a little more about he Vel d' Hiv online I came across an interesting blog, http://jewwishes.wordpress.com/ also click on http://www.sarahskey.com/

2 comments:

Vic said...

We went to Normandy ten years ago and the memory of the monuments, museums, and horrific war stories are still fresh in my mind. What a horrific time for the hunted. It is so hard to read about their suffering, yet so many people have already forgotten these events.

Your new header is stunning. I really like the new look for your blog. Happy New Year.

Anna said...

My husband bought me this book for Christmas and I'll be reading it for the challenge.

Great review! I've created a post for it here on War Through the Generations and I added the link to the book reviews page as well.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric