Thursday, February 12, 2009

War Through The Generations: WWII


War Through The Generations: WWII Challenge

I just thought I was finished reading for this challenge!

I had heard other blogger's post about the book "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink, when I saw the book in Target last week I had to buy and read it.

I would love to dive into psycho analyzing the 2 main characters in the book, if I did that I would spoil the reading pleasure of anyone out there that has not read the book yet.

Michael is 15 and Hanna 36 when they meet, a relationship ensues that is dramatic, manic, torrid, and salacious. I was never left with the feeling that their relationship was long lasting, all along I felt it was ....I can't tell. It was difficult for me to get through part 1 of the book, as a mother I look at things from a different perspective, Michael was 15, albeit sexual, but never the less not at an age yet of emotional maturity. I wondered how would this affect his life later. I was correct in my assumption, Michael desperately needed help. Hanna I felt was repressive and reticent. The book is very well written, it is a good book for long discussions in a book group.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I can't wait to read this one and see the movie. I posted about your review on War Through the Generations here.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Sandy Nawrot said...

I have this one on my shelf...I too saw it at Target and just couldn't resist! I haven't yet seen the movie either, and most likely will have to wait for Netflix (which is usually the case for non-kid movies). I understand the cringe-factor of a story about a teenage boy and an adult woman...there have been enough of them. I'm always screaming in my mind "That is somebody's little boy!!! Leave him the hell alone!"