Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tidbits In Early June

I finished two books last night; "Home, A Memoir of My Early Years" by Julie Andrews, and "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan. Both books are great. I will be posting my reviews of them in a couple of days, I'll be keeping my granddaughter later today and through till tomorrow.

Becky over at Becky's Book Reviews http://blbooks.blogspot.com had questions that I will be sharing, I welcome any input from you as well.

"Questions For Readers Everywhere"
"How patient are you as a reader? Does a book have to hook you from the start? If you're not into the story by the end of the 1st or 2ND chapter, do you abandon? Do you stick with it--if it's a slow starter--if its been recommended to you by a friend? What if it's an award winner? Do you stick with it then? What in your opinion makes for a slow start? What are your reasons for staying...or going? How often does it pay off? I mean, if you stick with a slow book how often do you end of loving it...and how often do you wish you had your time back? Do you want to be warned ahead of time?"
It is rare that I buy a book or check a book out of the library, that is not a "good read." On those rare occasions that I just cannot get into the book, it is because it is "just not going anywhere," it is not holding my attention, boring. I have learned that life is too short, and there are too many other great books out there for me to "stick it out" reading a bad book. Books are so personal as you know, what book I like may not be a book that you like. Choice is a great thing, so are opinions.
If you remember many people did not like the book "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. The book received awards, and was a featured Oprah book pick. Personally I loved the book, I got the message, or at least the message I perceived from the book.
I have another book in my reading stack, "All The Pretty Horses" also by Cormac McCarthy.
I have decided that this summer I will read books that I generally do not read, authors that I am not familiar with, maybe....I will even read science fiction or horror!
Several years ago I read "Of Human Bondage" a novel by W. Somerset Maugham. The main character Philip Carey drove me mad with his choices and attitudes in the beginning of the book, until by the middle of the book I saw myself in him, I saw my own poor choices that I'd made in youth. Philip then became endearing to me, and I fell in love with this book, it is one of my favorites. This is the book that stands out to me the most when I think back to a book that "I stuck out."
I don't feel the need to be warned ahead of time about a book, I read reviews, but I'll create my own opinion. Book awards are an honor, and an enticement for me to at least look at the book, and possibly even buy the book.

No comments: