Thursday, September 24, 2009

Review-"The Magician's Elephant"

"The Magician's Elephant" by Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by Yoko Tanaka
Candlewick Press 201 pages, Published 2009, reading level ages 8-13

Website of the book, www.themagicianselephant.com

Kate DiCamillo's previous book "The Tale of Despereaux" still sits on my book shelf waiting for me to read it.
On a recent visit to Walmart I saw "The Magician's Elephant", and was enticed by the title and striking book cover. It is a rarity for me to read a juvenile book, but I just could not help myself!

A young boy named Peter Augustus Duchene lives in the city of Baltese with an old soldier.
Peter has questions about his past, his family.
Weaved in to this story is a fortune teller, magician and a helpless elephant.
I felt this was a wonderfully written book about dreams, hopes, and a little bit of magic.
The characters come to life in their dramatic mannerisms, statements, taxing predicaments, and emotions.
The reader is kept in suspense as to what Peter will uncover, and what will happen to the elephant.
Peter is an endearing character in his bravery, innocence, and precociousness.
There is a moral teaching in this story, but I shall not give any delicacy of the story away.

Blissful Reading!
Annette 

1 comment:

Anna said...

I can't wait to read this one with my daughter. I hope you like Desperaux. We loved that book.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric