Monday, February 1, 2010

Review-"From Cover to Cover"

From Cover to Cover, Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books"
by Kathleen T. Horning
Harper Collins Publishers 1997




This book was borrowed from the library for the purpose of reading/reviewing.

After reading this book on reviewing children's books, I see how naive I was in thinking I could just jump in to authoring a blog on reviewing children's literature!
I took nine pages of notes on this book!
This book was written with the primary audience being librarians. I feel I gained a wealth of information and hope that my blog in the coming weeks and months and maybe even years will show justice.
I loved this book! It was educating, enlightening, motivating, enriching, and I feel that I have gained knowledge that will stay with me.
The book gives the history of children's books, the various categories of children's books, information on the difference between mass market books and trade books, the things that children of various stages of development are sensitive to and like, how important illustrations and photo's are, questions to ask when comparing books, the structures in a fiction book, and help in writing a review.
My favorite quote from the book is "A great reader inside every child."
I may need to purchase this book, even after taking several pages of notes, I may need to refer back to this book in the future.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

1 comment:

Mama Librarian said...

Annette -- I just reviewed this book, too, and there's a new edition coming out in April! Yay!