Friday, April 9, 2010

Review-A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle

A Wrinkle In Time is book one in The Time Quintet series.
Winner of 1963 Newbery Medal
Original copyright 1962 by Farrar, Straus and Siroux. My copy was copyrighted 2007 by Square Fish-An Imprint of Holztbrinck Publishers.
248 pages total, includes an interview with Madeline L'Engle and her acceptance speech of the Newbery Medal.
Young Adult Science Fiction

http://www.madeleinelengle.com/books/wrinkleInTime.htm

This book was purchased by me for the purpose of reading/reviewing.


Meg Murry is a young girl with glasses, braces and frizzy hair that will not behave. She is the oldest child in her family, followed by twin brothers Sandy and Dennys, and younger brother Charles Wallace. Their parents are scientists, the father has been missing for some time. Another character is introduced Calvin O'Keefe. Both Meg and Calvin have the same feelings of not being able to be their true selves, Meg feeling more the outcast vs. Calvin's popularity as a basketball player. Meg struggles with the emotional burden of what happened to her father, and not liking her appearance; she also feels misunderstood and unheard from teachers and classmates. Charles Wallace introduces three women to his siblings and Calvin that are unusual and eccentric: Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs.Who and Mrs.Which. These women take the children through a portal and in to the adventure of their lives.
This is a marvelous book and I can understand why it is a classic. The feelings of not fitting in and awkwardness in young adolescence is common to all (and sometimes common in adults). The feelings of being misunderstood and unheard are common to all (once again can be common in adults). We want to be accepted and liked, to be admired for a talent, to be listened to and perceived when we speak.
Meg is more than a relatable character; she was me, and maybe you, maybe most of us.
The book is imaginative, creative, intellectual but approachable, relevant to any age.

I have wondered if I'd read this book when I was a middle school student would I have liked this book? Would I have understood the story? I have enjoyed reading young adult fiction this year, as an adult I pick up on and understand more fully the characters and themes. As a young girl I do not believe I was mature enough to have grasped some of the books I've read this year. Children are probably more sophisticated now!

A quote from the author:
"A book, too, can be a star, 'explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,' a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe."

Blissful Reading!
Annette

2 comments:

Mel said...

I did read this as a middle school student and it remains one of my all time favorite books. I did understand the story, but then again I was an avid fantasy and science fiction reader. I am so glad you enjoyed this book! BTW: Thanks for stopping by my blog on the blog hop! I am so glad I got to see your blog.

Melissa

Ms. Yingling said...

I adored this in middle school, but it's a tough sell now. I don't think children are more mature now-- I think styles just change in literature. Thanks for the blogging award-- I may not get around to sharing it today, but I needed that lift before I pack up the next 303 boxes of books!