Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Akavak, An Eskimo Journey by James Houston

This is a book that was written in 1968, original publisher Harcourt, Brace & World, NY--Library Binding
80 pages, ages 9-12
I borrowed this book from the library for the purpose of reading/reviewing.

I am anxious to read more books on Alaska and the far north; this book "called out" to me while I was in the public library last week.

Akavak is a youth and he is given the mission to take his aged grandfather to visit his brother before his grandfather dies. His grandfathers brother lives farther north in the land named Kokjuak. Akavak and his grandfather will have to travel far in the icy elements of the terrain. Akavak is given instructions by his father on traveling, but soon after they leave his grandfather persuades him to do something else.

I thought this was a well written book; I was kept in suspense because of the hazardous trials that they endured. Akavak is torn between obeying his father or his grandfather. He is faced with grown up decisions and struggles with uncertainty. I felt the book did bring to my mind easily the terrain and environment of life in the far north of Alaska. The author wrote of the food they ate, clothing, and their housing.
I enjoyed reading this book!

Amazon link for the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Akavak-Inuit-Eskimo-Legend-James-Houston/dp/0152017313




Blissful Reading!
Annette

No comments: