Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Review: In Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson

"Tell me about when you were a little girl...."

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Attic/dp/0781403790/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305898394&sr=1-1
Paperback $6.99
Kindle $5.59

Link for the book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/in-grandmas-attic-repackaged/arleta-richardson/9780781403795/pd/403795?item_code=WW&netp_id=832309&event=ESRCN&view=details
Paperback $5.99





Published by David C. Cook April 1, 2011/144 pages/For ages 9-12/ Non-Fiction

Little Arleta loves her Grandma Mabel and she often asks her to tell stories of when she was a little girl.
Grandma Mabel was born in the early 1900's. This was a time of long dresses, wagons pulled by horses, no electricity, no inside plumbing (in rural areas), everything was handmade or preserved, and girls wore bonnets. Grandma Mabel's stories are full of nostalgia. Grandma Mabel as a young girl was full of curiosity and mischief. Arleta is amazed at the antics of her grandmother as a young girl. During this time of storytelling the two of them grow a closer bond, and for the rest of Arleta's life she will remember these memories.

I felt this is a great book for little girls--reading level 2nd grade through 5th grade.
The stories seem so far removed from the current culture we live in, it really is from another age. An age of no computers, or Twitter, or Blogger, or Facebook, and no television. Children read books, or played outside, or listened to stories that their parent's or grandparent's told. This was also an age when children had chores to do, as soon as they were old enough responsibilities were given to them in order to the perform household or farm functions.
Examples of various stories are: the button basket, hoop skirts, childhood diseases, tongue stuck to frozen pump handle, and the dark root cellar.
Arleta's respect and admiration for her grandmother is tender. It brings back memories of my own relationships with my two grandmother's. I too remember their stories of "when they were a little girl."

Thank you to David C. Cook and B and B Media Group for my free review copy!

Blissful Reading!
Annette

2 comments:

Becky said...

I think I had four or five of these books growing up. I just loved them. I mean I LOVED them. I think I read them until they fell apart! I am so excited to see they're back in print.

Annette said...

I liked the books as well and my granddaughter is now reading them.
Thank you for visiting!