Saturday, May 21, 2011

Book Review: More Stories from Grandma's Attic, Book 2 by Arleta Richardson

In my previous post I'd neglected to mention that Arleta Richardson's Grandma's Attic books are a series that were originally published in 1974, then revised in 1999, and now re-published by David C. Cook in 2011. My friend Becky at Becky's Book Reviews told me they were a favorite of hers as a child! Last night when I visited my 7 year old granddaughter I gave her the 1st book In Grandma's Attic and she ran off to her bedroom to read it. She is in the 1st grade, but reads at a nearly 4th grade reading level!




Published by David C. Cook April 1, 2011/144 pages/For reading level above 2nd Grade/Non-Fiction

Link for the book at publisher:
http://www.davidccook.com/catalog/Detail.cfm?sn=106806&source=search
Paperback $6.99

Link for the book at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/More-Stories-Grandmas-Attic/dp/0781403804/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305989689&sr=1-1
Paperback 8.99 (pricey)
Kindle 7.19

Link for the book at Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/more-stories-from-grandmas-attic-repackaged/arleta-richardson/9780781403801/pd/403801?product_redirect=1&Ntt=9780781403801&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCN
Paperback $5.99 (great price)

There are 2 more Grandma's Attic series books to be published this year.
Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic July 2011
Treasures from Grandma's Attic July 2011

Little Arleta and her Grandma Mabel have an endearing relationship. Arleta often asks her Grandma Mabel to tell her stories of when she was a little girl. Grandma Mabel was born in the early 20th Century. This was an era of long skirts for girls, high top shoes with button closures, no electricity or indoor plumbing, childhood diseases that there was no immunization for, and long walks to school in the environment. It seems like a different world to Arleta, and her curiosity about this time prompts her to asks her Grandma Mabel to tell her those treasured stories. When Arleta Richardson grew up she wrote many of these stories down and they became apart of her books entitled Grandma's Attic series.


I have fallen in love with the first 2 books in this series that I've read. They remind me so much of my own visits with my grandmother's and of the stories they shared with me.
I can't wait to find out what my 7 year old granddaughter thinks of these books, as I've given her book 1 to read and I know she is reading it now.
Some examples of stories that Grandma Mabel shared with Arleta are: a kid goat raised in the house, the big snowstorm, pig in a poke, and a popping rag doll.
Grandma Mabel was a curious little girl and was constantly getting herself in to mischief. The stories are told with a twinkle in Grandma's eye, yet the reader understands that she would like for her granddaughter Arleta to learn from these stories, not just be entertained.

Thank you to David C. Cook and B and B Media Group for my free review copy.

Blissful Reading!
Annette

No comments: