Thursday, September 29, 2011

Book Review: Treasures from Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson

One of the greatest regrets in my life is that I don't remember more of the stories that my own grandmother's told me. I was 10 when my paternal grandmother died. I was 26 when my maternal grandmother died.
I do remember them sharing with me how hard they worked: building a fire in the yard and boiling water in a large kettle in order to wash clothes. Wringing clothes out by hand and then hanging them on the clothes-line outside---(what about in the winter wouldn't they freeze? I did not think to ask that question.)
I remember my grandmother's telling me about the layers of clothes they wore, the thick stockings, wool underwear, sturdy button up shoes, and the petticoats....and those annoying cumbersome itchy binding corsets.
Everything was made from scratch.
The men worked in the field, the women worked at home.
My grandmother's were born during an age when there were no cars, no indoor plumbing, no electricity.
They were born during a time when babies were born at home.
People did not go to the doctor unless near death. This was also an age when many children did not live to become grown-ups.
"Back in the day" had a deeply defining more serious meaning.

Arleta Richardson has written the Grandma's Attic series to reach out to young girls ages 8-12. They were written in order to give them a home-spun, entertaining, and applicable books to read. They were also written to tell "true tales of yesteryear that bring timeless lessons for today, combining the appeal of historical fiction for girls with the truth of God's Word. Each captivating story promotes godly character and values with humor, understanding and warmth."
The Grandma's Attic series follows the young life of Mabel a girl born in the 19th Century. Mabel grows up to be the grandmother of Arleta and she freely shares stories from her girlhood.
In Book 4 of the Grandma's Attic Series---Treasures from Grandma's Attic---there are several stories that deal with honesty. We learn that Mabel often looses or misplaces things, she also dilly dallies (day dreams).
There is a teaching given on page 131 "beauty is as beauty does." My, I've heard that many times in my life, except what I was taught is pretty is as pretty does. And that is what my granddaughter know very well!
I believe this book has been my favorite. Mabel is a little older, still best friends with Sarah Jane. By book 4 I understand that Mabel is a precocious, bold, intelligent girl. Yet she is still just a girl and creates more havoc for herself than need be...she has a patient mother. 



Published by David C. Cook August 2011
160 pages/for girls ages 8-12

Thank you to David C. Cook and B and B Media for my free review copy!

To read the reviews of the first two Grandma's Attic books:
http://missdaisyanne.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-review-in-grandmas-attic-by-arleta.html
http://missdaisyanne.blogspot.com/2011/05/book-review-more-stories-from-grandmas.html

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Grandmas-Attic/dp/0781403820/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317333009&sr=1-5
Paperback $6.99
Kindle $5.59

Link for the book @ Christian Book:
http://www.christianbook.com/treasures-from-grandmas-attic/arleta-richardson/9780781403825/pd/403820?product_redirect=1&Ntt=403820&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP
Paperback $5.99

Blissful Reading!
Annette

1 comment:

Becky said...

While I've enjoyed rereading all four of these books, I think this fourth one may just be my (new) favorite. I really like the narration of it! It makes me want to read the rest of the series.