Monday, November 7, 2011

Book Review: The Three Trees, A Traditional Folktale by Elena Pasquali, with illustrations by Sophie Windham

There once stood three trees on a hillside, each with their own dream. The dreams they dreamed would be fulfilled in a way they'd never imagined. They would each take part in the greatest story that has ever been written.
I loved this book! It is a beautiful story, and a much cherished story! It is a story of hope and redemption, and of regeneration and triumph.
I read this book to my two grandchildren last weekend, both of them listened very attentively.
One of my favorite memories of my own children is reading to them aloud before bed at night. I'm building good memories now in reading to my grandchildren.
I loved the illustrations such as the sweet and friendly faces of the animals. Even the arachnid's and insects are illustrated in charming detail.
Colors of federal blue, sea green, poppy red.
The illustrations have an Americana or Folk Art feel.
The pictures--illustrations alone would hold the interest of children, gazing at the various and intricate detailed artwork. On each page my grandchildren and I played "eye-spy".

About the Author: Elena Pasquali studied romance languages at university and has a special interest in researching folk tales. She worked for some years in children's publishing before going on to be an author in her own right.

About the Illustrator: Sophie Windham has illustrated books for Bloomsbury and Orchard, and was shortlisted for the Kate Greenaway Medal for Unicorns! Unicorns! by Geraldine McCaughrean.


Thank you to Kregel and Lion Children's for my free review copy.
Kregel Book Tour November 7-11

Published September 1, 2011 by Lion Children's
32 pages
For ages 5-7

Link for the book @ publisher:
http://store.kregel.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=2630
Hardcover $14.99

Link for the book @ Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Trees-Traditional-Folktale/dp/0745962890/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320413894&sr=8-2
Hardcover $11.69
Paperback $6.61

Blissful Reading!
Annette

No comments: